four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Jack at Starbucks

Jack at Starbucks

Jack at Starbucks
Last night we were driving home from church and Jack was chattering away in the back seat about the street lights and the moon and clouds and stars. He was chattering on and on and I was half listening to him and half zoning out. Then it got quiet, for about 5 minutes not a sound from the back seat. The quietly we heard Jack say in a tiny little worried voice, "But I don't want to grow up" and then silence again. I looked at John and then turned to the back seat and asked Jack what he said, and again he said quietly "but I don't want to grow up, I just want to stay little". He seemed really concerned and worried and it broke by heart. We assured him that he is still our little guy and will always be. I just wanted to snuggle up next to him right then, this morning we did, his sweet little warm body wedged in between John and I. I couldn't help but wish he could stay small forever. I have a feeling the new baby coming may have a bit more impact on him than we expected. Jack and Stella are going to need some extra loving, with the move and the baby. Life is going to be a little crazy for awhile. All I know to do is just try to be more gentle and kind and spend special time with them.

11 Comments:

Blogger OnlyGirl said...

Oh, I wanted to cry reading this. I look at my firstborn and am amazed at how tall and lanky he is...how did he get that big? You guys will be fine, and Jack will be such a great biggest brother. Enjoy those sweet baby moments and know that you will have triple the opportunity for snuggles soon!

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That second picture of Jack is exactly how I look after my morning latte.

Ahhhhhhhh.

12:09 PM  
Blogger ~Telah said...

We have three little ones and it did take some adjusting but they are all doing fine now. They all love each other so much and that makes me feel at peace. And it seems that it just works out that I am able to spend quality time with each one individually.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that second picture. Actually, all three of them.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is 5 and said almost the exact same thing to me the other day. (I am not expecting.) She thought that "growing up" meant that she had to go and live by herself somewhere else, in her own home. When I reassured her that she could live with me forever, even after she was an adult, she felt much better. I also told her that growing up takes a long, long time. She seemed reassured....

Maybe you might want to ask him why he doesn't want to grow up, if he mentions it again. Maybe it is just a little reassurance he needs....

Good luck. I think you'll do great!

5:02 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

I keep looking at the girls and I want them to stay little forever.

All these changes will make your family closer. You all are so adorable!!!

9:46 AM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

These pics are amazing. What a sweetheart.

6:44 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Ha...my 14 yr old says the same thing...I think as long as they live outloud and right now they just don't have to ;)
Hey, I just thought when baby comes your going to have to change your blog name!

2:09 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

awwww....
what a cutie.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you. are. a. great. mom.

6:32 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

This post hit home for me because I remember feeling exactly that way as a kid, probably a little older than Jack is now. I wanted to stay little forever. I don't remember much from my childhood, but I distinctly remember that.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home