four sweetpeas -->

Monday, July 24, 2006

Community

DSC06919
The family we share a duplex with is from Africa. Last week Wangui's father in Kenya died. She is a lovely quiet woman with a thick accent. The day we found out her father died is the day when the non stop visitors began next door. They belong to a tight community like I have never seen in any church or social group ever. People have been pouring into that house with food and hugs contiually since last week. On Saturday night there seemed to be a party going on. We could smell goat on the bbq and people were milling around everywhere talking and eating. We thought it was some traditional African funeral feast, or some sort of farewell party for the father who had passed. The next day though we learned it was more practical, a fundraiser for the family so they could go back to Africa this week and be with the family. Yesterday I brought the family a cake I made, as I walked over and entered the garage I was greeted by 20 or so African men sitting in a circle in Geoffrey's garage. I stopped, a little taken back by all the eye's on me. I quickly searched for Geoffrey and asked for Wangui. He said to go right in. As I made my way through the middle of this group of men I was greeted with warm smiles and comments about the cake I'd made, thank you's, and a feeling of welcome. As I stepped into their house a woman was in the kitchen cooking the most wonderful smelling food. The kitchen was filled with dishes and pots and pans and this woman cooking looked up with a warm smile and said hello. I could tell that Wangui and her family were being taken care of in a way I've never seen before. The women were surrounding Wangui with love and support almost 24 hours a day, while the men surrounded Geoffery and lifted him up while he supported his wife. I used to arrogantly and naively think that this kind of love and support was only found in the church I attended. What I've seen and learned though is that a deep sense of brotherhood and love can be found in many places. I feel a deep happiness seeing the love next door, it also makes me think about how much more I can be there for my friends when they are in need.

8 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

wow...this post gave me chills. That is so very awesome. That was nice that u brought a cake over. :)

11:13 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

This post made me teary-eyed. Community is something that is so often lost, it's wonderful to have been given that reminder glimpse Heather....I love that life is like that.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is such a touching post, and the emotions you expressed are so beautiful. thanks for sharing.

12:11 PM  
Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

what a beautiful story. we are blessed when we are exposed to these types of traditions.

thanks for commenting on joe...
oh my gosh heather .i got lucky
and hit the live link at the
finish line. and about 15
participants came in and then they
announced joe. i sat there and
broke down. i couldn't get a grip
on myself. i cry at anything
where someone is breaking the
oddsbut knowing joe and being
blessed by seeing it. it was just
unbelievable!

he is such a great guy.
have a great day!
hey how are things with you?
did you see our new pooch delilah?she is a keeper
k

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what beauty and inspiration. thank you for shedding the light.

8:13 PM  
Blogger --erica said...

so touching..

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how much healthier and happier we'd all be with communities like this surrounding us!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Lorissa said...

This makes me wish I was born in another country or something. I LOVE the community other cultures have. I'm just a regular ol' white girl. At least I have "cultural" friends I can learn from.

1:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home