four sweetpeas -->

Monday, May 01, 2006

Weekend Update

DSC05995
- Friday was play in the mud day. It started with me watering the plants and snowballed into a gigantic mudfest. Unfortunately by the end of the day Stella had a fever and was sick. We met my family anyway at the theater to watch "Ice Age 2" for Jack's birthday and decided Jack is still a bit to young for the theater. He watched most of it but then just wanted to run around.

Saturday was Jack's birthday party. It ended up fun, but the beginning was pretty much torture for me. Image 8 adults silently standing around staring at each other while the kids ran in the bedroom to play. I felt panic, what was wrong with everyone? So about 10 minutes into the party I whisper to John that maybe we should start the game. Unfortunately the game bombed. I had put all my hope on the classic "pin the tale on the donkey" game, and it let me down big time. The problem was it was like pulling teeth to get anyone to play the game. Just as I was about to go lock myself in the bathroom and consider my escape options people started talking, eating, and seemed to be having a decent time.

DSC06013

I know part of the problem was that I could hardly do anything because Stella was a feverish whiny lump in my arms 95% of the party. At the end I know Jack had a good time. People got him some super fun gifts and all the kids had fun playing in the back yard. John and I however decided that next year we will be having the party at a different location, a park, "bouncetown", "chucky cheese", anywhere where I don't have to actually plan the activities.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lorissa said...

Throwing a birthday party scares me...I don't think it will happen for me until Hunter is old enough to remember or care (eighteen?). I saw you from across the room on Sunday. Hope you had fun!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

the "away from the house" party is a good idea. I talked to Tracie about it and she said parties are always like that at first...and it is true :)..i had fun watching everyone :)

9:44 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

awwww....
that is one of the worst feelings...
the pressure of having to
pull it all together
and then when it doesn't feel like
its working...
you really do just want to escape.

glad it came around in the end though
and i know what you mean about
doing it "away" from home...
takes alot of the pressure off!
:)

9:47 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

I have so been in your shoes. I love kids party games, my son loves kids party games, his friends cry when we play kids party games. I feel like the world's worst party hostess. The best at home party we ever had was a builder's theme. We put a huge pile of sand in the garage and let a herd of 3 year olds dig their hearts out. But I say, if the birthday boy enjoyed himself, that's all that counts.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Nice mudfest. I try not to be too uptight to host one of those things myself.
Glad the party turned out okay in the end. Hope Stella is feeling better soon.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I've been there Heather, and I swear I will never, ever throw a birthday party at home again!!!

you did GREAT. and you know, after a couple of weeks Jack will tell you something about the party and you'll think "wow, it was SO worth it" and you'll feel proud :)

12:31 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

Yep, that's why I always have parties out of our home; it just stresses me right out to have the kids, their parents, etc. here. It sounds like a great party anyway and now you know. (=

2:14 PM  
Blogger lazy cow said...

So sorry to hear about your stressful party. My solution (when the adults have to stay) is offer everyone a glass of champagne. It feels so decandent drinking at 10.30 - 11am, that everyone loosens up straightaway. Then there is no worrying about cups of tea or coffee and who takes sugar. The ones who don't drink champers get oj.
I'm enjoying reading about your lovely family. You have a lot of fun together.

6:23 PM  
Blogger lazy cow said...

I meant to write decadent.

6:23 PM  
Blogger angela said...

this year we will be trying an "out of the house" party for the first time with our youngest.

we just don't all fit in the house anymore, and it is alot to entertain everyone!

looks like it was a good time though :)

6:14 AM  
Blogger nina beana said...

i'm scared! our 3rd birthday/baptism party planned for this coming weekend, which was originally supposed to be like five people, has quickly turned into 35+ people. heeeelllllllllllp!

10:36 AM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

Love the photos!! Mine is into his plug (pacifer) too. I just can't get over how great of a photo taker you are.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

Oh she is so precious!

Glad the party ended it ok.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home