four sweetpeas -->

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Self Portrait Tuesday: "Introduce Yourself" #3

I've never been really "high maintenance" when it comes to how I look, well at least with my hair and makeup. I remember growing up a phrase I heard often from my dad was "What happened, did you comb your hair with an egg beater". I didn't let myself go or anything when I became a mom, I was really always like this. What I mean is I really don't care if I leave the house without makeup on or not, and there has been more than one occasion where we are walking out the door to go to church or something and John will ask me nicely if I'm going to comb my hair. I know this sounds bad like I just have low standards, or am just lazy, or have low self esteem or something, which all might be slightly true, but the truth is I just think I look better most of the time a little messy. I can't for the life of me figure out what lip color looks good on me, and forget eye makeup, I just have no idea. I didn't inherit this from my family, my mom wears makeup all the time, and I rarely see my sister without her face nicely done up. I've grown comfortable with the natural look, but I'd also like to fancy myself up once and a while and feel like I know what I'm doing. I am getting a few more "are you ok, you look tired" comments than I used to. I may be finely forced into makeup by motherhood and age. Ok, I can accept that it was bound to happen sometime, so friends and family if you see me walking around with a hideous shade of pink lipstick on or mascara all over my face, please let me know, I'm new at this.

14 Comments:

Blogger gkgirl said...

i can so relate.

however,
i always think you look great!
:)

8:15 AM  
Blogger Lorissa said...

I appreciate that you have the confidence to go "naked" and natural. I used to be that way too. Even though my sisters spent hours a day in the bathroom getting ready. I didn't even use hair spray until I had a roomate in college that was really vain and bugged me about it. I became so insecure I gave in to makeup and hairspray. I wish I could revert back but I care too much about what other people think :(

8:31 AM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

u are SOSOSOSOSO funny! I was cracking up picturing and remembering dad asking u that question all of the time. I like the way u look and wish that i never started with the whole makeup thing...it gets too tedious and to the point where i feel like i can not leave the hosue without makeup now. Please don't start wearing pink or bright red lipstick...i must approve first before u start doing that...ha ha ha!!! i love u, Heather.

8:59 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

You look very beautiful and charming!

9:12 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

Even though I love makeup and product, most of my days are spent makeup-less. Although I've been wearing it more, I look less tired and fresher when I do. (= You're entitled to look tired, being pregnant and 2 wee ones!!
I think you look pretty without makeup and girlfriend, work it while you're young! Once I hit 40, I realized I had had a nice run with being fairly low maintenance.

10:18 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

This is an interesting subject and I think it also depends where you live throughout our country (also the year)!...I'm on the inclination of getting 'plainer' as I get older. I certainly don't judge people by their makeup (unless perhaps it's too much!)
Interesting post..thanks for making me think :) (you look just fine to me!)

11:13 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

I think you look great 'as is' too. I love the natural look.

12:44 PM  
Blogger Colorsonmymind said...

I think you are beautiful- without makeup.

I find myself going out a lot more ragged since becoming a mom. It takes so much energy. I do try to put makeup on- minimal but at least some undereye cover up (I tend to havce dark circles) and some mascara.

12:48 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

i'm right there with you...

my husband thinks it's so weird when i try to attempt the makeup thing...he stares at me funny and tells me he likes me better without it. guess i'm lucky! but the world is stuck looking at my black circles under my eyes. oh well!

i think you look great just the way you are.

12:52 PM  
Blogger dani said...

same same but different.

isn't it weird that to wear makeup seems to be the norm? and that being natural isn't? i do understand for possibly special occasions or for actually wantign to change the way you look for a particular reason - but for everyday use, i mean: why? why do we think a well-groomed woman is one who brushes her hair and wears makeup? why do we think it looks more professional?

just be you heather - you're doing a great job.

3:43 PM  
Blogger angela said...

you are cute, make up, shmake up that's what i say...

5:22 PM  
Blogger GJ said...

Haha -love this. I, too, am not so good with the make-up.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't let myself go or anything when I became a mom, I was really always like this.

HA! That's me! My Husband is shocked when I actually take the time to "spruce up." I'm a ponytail kinda girl. It suits me. :) And you as well, from what I can see!

8:57 PM  
Blogger JeepGirl said...

I think you look just fine. Natural look is in right now. And straight hair is in too.
I don't think you have to cover up your natural beauty with make up. Maybe a fresh new hair cut will liven' things up. Don't fret too much about it.

I didn't know that you were pregnant. Congrats !!!

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home