four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Fruit and Books

DSC05169
We got out of the house yesterday, with all the rain John has been taking the car, but yesterday was nice and pretty so he rode his scooter and I got the car. Being homebound the last couple weeks with sickness and weather, the kids have gotten to play with some of their favorite things. They love these little wood fruits. The pieces of each fruit are held together with a little piece of velcro, then you take the knife and cut through the velcro to "cut" the pieces up. They love feeding the piece to me. These fruits came packaged in a little apron with a pocket in the front, it's one of my favorite toys the kids have.
DSC05206
Yesterday we headed to the library. The overall experience was a nightmare, Stella screaming, me chasing both of them around in the stacks of books trying to catch them, me crying on the way home wondering when I will ever be able to bring my kids into social situations alone and not nearly have a nervous breakdown. The good part was that I was able to grab some really colorful fun books for them before the chaos broke out. Here's what we got:
1. Why to Kittens Purr? by Marian Dane Bauer.
2. Maisy's Rainbow Dream By Lucy Cousins. The colors are so bright in this book. It's all about Maisy mouse's crazy dream.
3. Happy Easter by Kurt Wiese. I love this book because of the illustrations and the cute little story about rabbits coloring Easter eggs only to have the chicks hatch and come out the colors they have colored the eggs. The same illustrator who did "The Story about Ping" did this book, it was one of my favorite books as a kid
4. Mr. Seahorse by Eric Carle Love the colors and all the pretty fish Mr. Seahorse meets
5. From the Garden by Micheal Dahl I love all the green colors, it's a counting book, and it teaches what some of the different vegetables are.

5 Comments:

Blogger gkgirl said...

teehee...
i can totally empathize
with your library ordeal.

i remember thinking
it would be a good idea
to take my children
AND the children i was
looking after
to the library...
lets just say the picture
i had in my head
did not match the
chaos and crying and mess
that ensued...

eeesssshhhh...
i'm shuddering just remembering it.
:)
great looking books though!
:)

9:17 AM  
Blogger kristen said...

I love those wooden toys, esp. the fruits! I swear 1 or 5 kids....there's a window of time that taking your kid(s) out in public/social situations is just too stressful, even if it's kid-friendly like the library. Your a good mom Heather and it's very hard when you've got 2 little ones close in age. I'm glad you got to get a few books before the trip was aborted, glad the weather is perking up!

9:42 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

pretty colorful pictures. we had the same fruit, but ours were plastic and not nearly as pretty.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

i love the fruit thing too!! How do u check kids library books out and bring them back in one piece? I always wondered about that...maybe we can hang out tomorrow?? (friday)...love ya!!

9:55 PM  
Blogger I'm Shannon said...

find comfort in the fact that if you lived where I do then my kids would be running around the stacks screaming along with your kids all under the glare of the librarian.

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home