four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Random Street Art : Cow found downtown

DSC05040
I grew up living with a dairy accross the street behind our house. Thousands of cows just yards away. It smelled like manure 100% of the time, but I remember the stench being especially strong in the mornings. It was the kind of smell that was thick and earthy, that you could taste. In the mornings you could see a field of steam rising from beneath the cows hoofs. We would get really thick fog sometimes in the mornings and as we drove to school and passed the cows all we could see were faint black and white ghost cows standing still just beyond the fence. We had our own cow at one point, he lived in one of the acres behind our house, there was only a small country road separating his pen from the dairy cows, and sometimes he would escape. We would go back to feed him and he'd be gone. We would find him mingling with the dairy cows a half mile away, having found a broken part of the fence. He must have been lonely in his own pen, knowing that just a few feet away he could be with a whole cow community. The dairy isn't running anymore, but you can still smell the manure. Sometimes when I go over to my mom's and smell the old dairy I look arcoss the street and imagine it still filled with cows looking back at me.

8 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Ditto for me . . we have cattle too. Yuck!

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that picture is just so cute!!!

2:15 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

we grew up next to dairy farms
and i would take a dairy farm
any day over a hog farm...
THAT is a bad stench.

and about your cow...
we used to have a horse
even though we really didn't have
the set-up for a horse...
she ran away every morning...
the neighbors would call and
say daisy's in my front yard...
heh heh

3:11 PM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

what u failed to mention is that one day we came home and J.R.(our cow) was strung up high in the air being killed in the front yard. It was horrifying! He was a cute cow though.:)...and i love that cement drawing.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yea, I was sparing everyone from that gruesome story...what was dad thinking slaughtering him right at our home...ug!! Maybe that's one more reason I don't eat meat.

4:14 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

I love cows and I love your cow story.

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh what a smell I remember and I get to walk outta my house and smell it every day! ICK!

What a great insight into your memories. Love it!

8:05 AM  
Blogger dani said...

love this story!!!

holy cow! i love cows. i don't eat them anymore. about 13 years ago i realised that my totem is cow - i'm taurean and all those indians can't be wrong either. i think they're sacred and beautiful.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home