four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Corners: (idea taken from soulemama)

DSC04410

This is probably the most cluttered area in our house. It's a floor to ceiling book shelf, jammed into the corner by our computer. It's really not functional, and at first glance, to a stranger it may just look like a complete mess, but to me it's my little lovely corner. It's where I keep the only books I own, some I love and some I just have a sentimental attachment to. I have "The Art of Happiness" by the Dalai Lama that was my grandmothers. I haven't read it, but everytime I see it, I think of her. I have "The Color of Distance" by Amy Thompson. It was one of the only sci-fi books I've ever read, but I loved it, it is one of my favorite books. I read it on our honeymoon, and it always brings me good feelings when I pick it up. Then there are the depressed chic books "Prozac Nation" and "Girl Interrupted" I am drawn to depressed souls, if I would let nature have it's way with me I would be sleeping in a depressed state 24/7, but I fight it and win most of the time, these books pull me in and I can feel the familiar blanket of darkness flutter over me when I read them, it's scary and comforting at the same time. Then there are all my travel Journals "Baghdad Without a Map", "A walk in the Woods" "In a Sunburned Country", I love reading about others travels, they satisfy my need to explore and see other places until I can get around to doing it myself. I could go on but this is getting long. So, In short, this corner holds me, my loves and memories, my fears and dreams.

7 Comments:

Blogger GJ said...

I love this....I want to someday have a house with one entire giant wall of bookshelves...and no decor junk - JUST BOOKS!

3:29 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

I love this book's corner! So charming and attractive. Books are my passion, too. I have many boooks and I am thinking to post someday a bit about books.
I like so much the plant between the shelf. What is their name?

By the way, about charming corners, did you ever visit Kali, from "Enjoying The Journey"? Take a look on "Corners of my Home",
January 08, 2006. The link is
http://vintagehouseholdtas.blogspot.com/

5:01 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

that is a great corner
i love getting a glimpse
of your books...
and i never would have thought
that you fight any dimension of
depression,
that surprised me actually...

great job with with plant
by the way...
i had one of those once,
but eventually, killed it off
sigh.

8:28 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

What a wonderful corner! I love how it embodies your dreams..that is so neat! I've just got to put one of my corners on my blog...I love to look at all the personal corners this morning!

10:03 AM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

cool corner--we have books EVERYWHERE in our house, too. And I have lots of those houseplants, too. They're so forgiving!

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love A Walk in the Woods. It is a great book, isn't it? I had a gret friend send it to me and I had it read the next day. Adventursome reading is the best, gives you a little escape!

4:47 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I loved this picture -- it made me want to come over to your house, have a cup of tea, and borrow some of your books!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home