four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The Coolest Mom Ever

I have the coolest mom ever. She is a super grandma, playful and energetic. Jack screams and runs to her when he sees her. She is a scholar. At the age of 58 she currently attends Sacramento State University with a double major, Ethnic studies and Woman's studies. She already has 5 other AA degree's earned from a community collage. She recieved honors in all of them. She earned all of these while she was in her 50's. She also works at a food bank, packing up boxes to send to people who are hungry. My mom is a loving, caring, gently, thoughtful person. Last night she took me to a play at Sac State. It was about the Harlem Renaissance. I swear my mom was a African American activist, or a Native American wise woman in a past life. I have so many wonderful memories of fun and unusually things we did growing up, from going on weekly "volksmarches", to climbing Half Dome with her, to helping her nurse back to health owls and hawks she would bring home from Animal Rescue. We are blessed to have gotten her as a mom, they don't come any better.

9 Comments:

Blogger kelly barton art + design said...

what a nice tribute....good for her! ilove women like that.

11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a beautiful collage! She sounds like a such a wonderful and accomplished woman!

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how lovely to catch up with you! All the pics are so beautiful. Especially love your self portrait Tues. And your Mom. What a gal! She sounds fantastic, you're so blessed.

3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautiful post Heather. really. I want to be like your mom. and for one second, I want to have a daughter like you. now, the second's over and I'm back into reality with my two sons who keep banging stuff against the wall...

11:52 PM  
Blogger GJ said...

Very very cool.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

you are so right! I love mom SO very much....she is the coolest mom ever!! I am just glad that i living close now, so that i can see her whenever!:)

8:11 PM  
Blogger dani said...

beautifully said - she sounds wonderful!

11:39 PM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

that was so sweet and inspiring
i just read out loud to my husband
what you said about her earning
all of her education while in her
fifties and he said
"see, there is hope for you yet"
which was just what i was thinking...

:)

5:47 AM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

I tried to leave a comment another day, but I suppose that Blogger was having problems.

Your Mom is a lovely women! What a beautiful tribute to her.
You is a lovely daughter, too!

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home