four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, November 17, 2005



My kids are funny and sweet and I love them, but I'm am in need of a sanity break. I need a stand in mom to pop on over for a day or so and take care of these two clowns. Yesterday we went out to eat with my friend Gretchen and her 2 kids. Now I always think twice before going out to eat with kids, but it was the food co-op so I figured it would be relaxed and a little noisier than your usual restaurant, and it was. So how come midway through our meal, as Jack is getting louder and louder and Stella is squirming did I freak out and, mid bite grab our food, and throw the kids in the stroller and bolt from the restaurant in an sweaty anxiety ridden state? Because I CANNOT HANDLE EATING OUT WITH KIDS. There I said it, I HATE EATING OUT WITH KIDS. As I hightailed it back to our car leaving Gretchen wondering what my problem was, I could feel myself relaxing. I called John when I got home, crying to him that I am the lamest mom ever, can't even handle eating a simple meal out with the kids. He reassured me that I am not lame, this is just one area that I am not good at right now. We all have some area where we just aren't great. He was right, I will not, do not want, can not, eat out with kids right now. If I do you just might find me the local psych hospital rocking back and forth in a corner sucking my thumb. The time will come when it will be fun and easy, that is just not right now.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

that is so funny! I do not like eating out with children either (sorry, no offense)...and i also do not like waiting on them. (once again, no offense...sorry)...i can totally understand where u are coming from even though i do not have any children. It has to be so so hard.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two weeks ago I took my boys to the mall center and we had lunch at McDonald's. they're almost 4 now. and I think this was the first time I ate out with my boys. I just can't stand the stress. you are not "not good in that area yet". I could NEVER EVER take kids under 4 out for lunch by myself. NEVER. unless Super Nanny is coming along. you are an amazing mom. I say it again, you are an amazing mom. never doubt it.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just you! Once they can sit up in high chairs and fling food around and scream and carry on, they really are a trial until they are around 20 I think ;O)

8:05 AM  
Blogger gkgirl said...

heehee...i gotta say
i also do not like eating out
with my children
and they are ten and six...
eating should be enjoyable
and i can't relax if i'm
telling one to sit down
and the other to eat
and to stop kicking each other
under the table...
plus, its too expensive to eat out
and NOT enjoy it...
:)

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I soooo hear you. not so fun. takeout at home is much more fun. and dinner out with a babysitter at home is even more fun. It's just too hard and unfair to have them SIT for so long! ;)

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dak-Ind said...

greetings, i hopped over here from Server Girl's place. don't feel lame or silly about the meal thing, honestly if more parents were concsious of how their kids were behaving in public places, like restaurants, there would be less tension about it. you are doing great, never fear! i have two boys ( a teen and a baby) and goign into public with either of them is always scary, with both its a disaster.

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home