four sweetpeas -->

Monday, November 28, 2005

Happy Monday

So far this is an excellent day. The kids have been playing together nicely. They are happy. Today I love being a mom. Lately though it has seemed really hard to be a mom. I feel like I've compromised with the T.V. watching a lot. And the sugar consumption has gotten a little out of control too. Consequently I've seen Jack turning into a winy and crying little mess. It was starting to become a vicious cycle. Jack is out of control, so in desperation I give him a snack and sit him in front of cartoons. The result: I don't snap, Stella gets the attention she has been screaming for, and Jack is happy. The problem is I never wanted to raise my kids watching tv everyday, and a little sugar is fine, but it's become my crutch. Well no more. This week it's all changing. No TV except for one showing of Monster's Inc. While Stella naps. We are going to play and read and listen to music and bake things. Less sugar too. I know I can be a better mom. Also, I'm going to give myself a little grace, I'm not perfect, If I need the TV on for a bit to regain my sanity, that's ok.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, be gentle with yourself heather! while at the same time, moving step by step in the direction that you "want" to parent in. It's so so hard, really...and guilt will only make it harder. (Speaking because it's much easier to SAY all of this, of course, than to LIVE it! But I'm trying!).

12:08 PM  
Blogger Randi said...

Hi!

I know what you mean about the TV. My daughter watches a little bit every day and I feel a little guilty about it, but it didn't hurt any of my other kids, so i suppose its not a bit deal. Sometimes I just need to give her a safe quiet time so I can get something done!

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a fantastic mom Heather, and though I really don't think you need to be so hard on yourself (my kids watch tv for more than 2 hours every day and I do not feel guilty about it!), I admire you for making resolutions like that. these little insights, questions, decisions are making you a better mother every second of your life. and please, if Monsters Inc. is showing more than once tomorrow, never think you've failed or anything, ok? you're doing a wonderful job. you truly are.

1:56 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

It is so hard to do what we consider the right thing by our children. I let my girl watch TV, I use it so I can have a piece of mind, I do what we all do to get by sometimes. It's a really hard job and having a time-out or a few min. to breathe alone, well we do what we have to and we try to be a little kinder to ourselves, even for a few moments. (=

2:47 PM  
Blogger GJ said...

I don't have kids yet so I can't weigh in - but this photo makes me want to be a mom!!!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Heidi R. said...

i love this picture. you know what? We all watched a lot of t.v growing up and we turned out Grreeaatttt!!!! :)

11:02 PM  
Blogger sara said...

You already seem to be a pretty amazing mom. You love your kids, you spend high-quality, loving time with them...I have serious doubts as to whether I could do such a good job as a parent!

12:03 AM  
Blogger dani said...

wow, sounds like you made the change without any hiccups. well done. and if you slip a bit and the tv gets turned on it's not the end of the world. nice to hear you aren't being too hard on yourself.

1:13 AM  
Blogger teega said...

This pic is so good of you and Jack!

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home