four sweetpeas -->

Sunday, October 16, 2005

Panic

Last night I felt true panic for the first time as a mother. We are part of a babysitting co-op with some friends from my church. So last night was our turn to watch the 10 kids for 4 hours. It sounds daunting but when we have every other Saturday in the month to go out on a date it's worth it. Anyway, we put Stella to sleep in her crib around 8pm. After awhile I heard her crying so I went in to check on her. It wasn't her usual cry, it was short screeches and then a gasp. Usually when she is crying in her crib she stands up and waits for me to come. This time she stayed laying on her side. I picked her up and she was limp, not clinging to me or anything. She kept screaming and the weird thing is she would not open her eyes. I freaked out. I started shaking and practically running around our place franticly yelling "what's wrong with her" John and I felt helpless and I was about to jump in the car to go to the ER. That was just the time when all the co-op parents came home to pick up their kids. Two of them happen to work in hospitals. So they snatched Stella up and looked her over. They looked her over, said her breathing sounded ok and stayed with us while I held her. Stella calmed down, opened her eyes and gradually went back to her normal self. It took me all night to get back to MY normal self. She slept with us last night, we were constantly checking on her. This morning, it's like nothing happened, she is happy and healthy. They think maybe she had a seizure, I think maybe a freaky nightmare. I don't know but something was wrong. We check in with the Doc on Tuesday, so we'll see what he says. Anyway, I realized that I'm not one of the clear headed thinking calm mom's in an emergency, I'm the freak out and panic type.

6 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

wow..that is so scary...i wonder what happenend?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hope she is ok,let us know what happens. Its ok not to be calm thats what your friends are for, you can be calm for them if something happens.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds terrifying. I had a few instances like that with my baby when he seemed to stop breathing and I know how you may have felt. That fear, panic and helplessness is very confronting. Hopefully it will be a one off occasion.

7:54 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

oh heather that sounds so scary. I'm sure we'd all be freaking out too. last night i also had a strange experience with mary (18months)--she woke up crying and when i picked her up, she wouldn't open her eyes, and her head was wobbling all around, and she kept screaming. when she did open her eyes up she couldn't focus on anything--it was very scary and weird but i think it was a nightmare and she wouldn't wake up out of it. so i'm sure what you experienced was very scary, because i was scared too.
i'm glad you're going to the doctor. i hope that you will get some peace of mind from the visit.
please keep us updated. you and stella are in my prayers.

8:51 PM  
Blogger sonia a. mascaro said...

When my son was baby,(today he is 29)the same thing happens with him. It was a scary nightmare. I hope Stella will be OK! Regards from Sonia, São Paulo, Brazil.

3:46 AM  
Blogger Lorissa said...

Yikes! I hope it's just night terrors (well, not hope. But that would be better than something else). Hunter already has night terrors. He had his first one when he was only 4 months. And he has had two since then. Keep us posted...Luv U.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home