four sweetpeas -->

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Backup


One of my favorite movies is "About A Boy". I sat in the dark living room nursing Stella early this morning, turned on the TV. And YEA!! To my delight this wonderful movie was on. My favorite part is when Marcus stands alone on the stage in front of all his classmates and says "this song is for my mother" and then quietly starts singing "Killing my Softly". The kids start booing and Marcus hesitates but keeps going. He stops at one point and is about to leave the stage when you hear a guitar from somewhere unseen start strumming the music to the song Marcus is singing, then we see Hugh Grant's character Will walk onstage playing the guitar and as Marcus starts singing again, Will starts singing along with him. Anyway I sat there crying and watching the rest of the movie. One of the last scenes is all of the friends and family gathered around eating a meal together. Marcus narrates saying we all need more than just one person in our life, we need "backup". I thought about that and it's so true for me. Sometimes all I think I really need is John and the kids and no one else, but I'm truly happy with friends and other family around, I need them, I need there support and backup. I have a fuller life with them all in it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

Ahhh..that is so sweet! I always feel the same...like when i have a significant other in my life that i am secure and need no one else..that is why i always feel so empty and alone when i am single. If i have my "backup" and surround myself with that always, then maybe i would not feel alone. I like your post today..it is sweet.

12:59 PM  
Blogger teega said...

"back-up" is good. Right now in my life that's what I've got and I am very content. Having just one,or two people in your life, does not cut it. Family, friends, significant others, kids, co-workers, etc.! VERY IMPORTANT!
And that movie is great!

7:09 PM  
Blogger molly | mommycoddle.com said...

love the movie. we rented it not really knowing what it was about and were pleasantly surprised.
wishing i had a few more backups in my life right now....

7:25 PM  
Blogger Di said...

I love that Movie!It makes you think!

12:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home