four sweetpeas -->

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Where I'm From

Me (with the long hair), Heidi, Darren, and Mom
I got the idea for this poem off of Pea Soup.

Where I'm From


I am from Bisquick pancakes with banana's cooked inside. From standing
still so the sewing pins would'nt poke me as my mom fit clothes she
was making on me, and from a furry little dog named Chopsticks.

I am from playing in the Big Ditch and getting itchy making forts with
dried grass. From the pig and the cow and the chickens
and the cats and the dogs. From sharing a room with my sister and
jumping from one bed to the next. I am from walking two miles down to
Tom's Feed in the heat of summer to pick out baby chicks and
bring them home.

I am from raisin bread for breakfast and
tuna sandwiches with relish for lunch at Grandma's. From paper
dolls and Silly Putty at her kitchen table, and all day shopping trips with
lunch at Lyon's in the mall.

I am from Heidi humming while she ate, and splitting
a 1 lb bag of m&m's four ways. From Darren's love of peanut butter
and from Dad saying "I'll split your lip and run your leg through it" and
mom saying "warsh"

I am from motorhome trips, sittng in the back dangling my retainer out
of the window daring myself to let it go. From going to Santa Cruz
and feeling the gritty sand and warm sun on my body as we walk back
to the motel.

I am from birthday parties at McDonalds. From a sweaty Strawberry
Shortcake mask on Halloween spreading our bags of
candy out on the floor afterwards and sharing with mom. I
am from Christmas with Great Grandma and
eating mom's stuffing and pie until I felt like
I would burst.

I am from family photo albums in the formal room end table, digging through
them every few years with excitment.
Spending hours
looking and remembering

2 Comments:

Blogger Heidi R. said...

ahhh..i loved this. I was laughing while tears were streaming down my face. Everything was so true. We have such a good family with lots of memories

2:17 PM  
Blogger asianarnold1 said...

wow! very cool. one day your kids will be reading this in their classrooms, and maybe writing one for themselves.

print, frame, and hang on the wall.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home